I am a Breast Cancer survivor!! 8 years have passed since Radhika first encountered breast cancer...
Chennai Breast Cancer Research Foundation
The incidence of breast cancer is increasing in India. The trend of rising incidence rates is likely to continue due to change in lifestyle and reproductive risk factors.
Westernization, increased consumption of high-fat diet, obesity, fewer and late pregnancies and reduced breast feeding attribute to the increase in the risk of breast cancer..
Mortality due to breast cancer is considerably high in India. This is largely due to the lack of awareness and disparities in cancer care.
We are still underprepared to deal with this rise in incidence of breast cancer. We need a new model that is holistic, comprehensive and cost effective to improve outcomes of breast cancer.
We are now embarking on an exciting new phase- To broaden our horizon with “Chennai Breast Cancer Research Foundation” - a centre of excellence leading to a surge in improving diagnostics, treatment options and supportive care for breast cancer that will enhance survival and improve quality of life in every way. The initiative would be not for profit, driven by philanthropic goals in a sustainable manner. The foundation has a unique financial model designed to be self sustaining to carry out the day to day activities, but depends on grants to establish the infrastructure, procure equipment and for expansion needs.
The founding principles of the organization are:
1) Create awareness
2) State of the art treatment
3) Teaching and training
We are committed to provide free treatment for the Below Poverty Line (BPL) patients. For patients who are socioeconomically disadvantaged but not below poverty line as defined by our Government, (who in fact form the majority in our country) the user charges will be reasonable and not market determined.
The proposed facility will be a comprehensive, one stop breast centre that will have the following facilities:
- Preventive Oncology
- Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnostics
- Breast Cancer Pathology and Molecular Oncology
- Breast Cancer Genetics
- Breast Cancer Surgical Services
- Breast Cosmetic and Reconstructive Services
- Medical Oncology Services
- Radiation Oncology Services
- Psychological support services
- Palliative care
- Rehabilitation services including merchandise for prosthesis, wigs etc.
- Holistic care that includes alternative and complementary therapies
- Peer support groups
- Teaching and training centre for medical, nursing and technologists involved in Breast Cancer Care.